Monday, March 7, 2011

a guest post from dresdencarrie

Hello all you fun crafters! I'm so excited to be here on Made By Jewls, what a fun blog!
I'm Dresden from dresdencarrie.
I love to sew, make things for our cute little apartment, design, share tutorials through blogging and spend time with my wonderful husband.
I work full time for Silhouette America and absolutely love my job. It gives me a chance to use my Graphic Design education and also to be crafty and think of new ideas for products at Silhouette.

Today I have a Mod-Podged Canvas Tutorial to share with you. I hope you enjoy!

Items needed for this tutorial:
- canvas or piece of wood
- old book paper
- mod podge
- vinyl phrase
- transfer paper
- sponge brush

I had this old canvas from a project I started a year ago that didn't work out and finally just recently got around to doing something with it.

 Mod Podge old book paper on the entire canvas or piece of wood by painting a layer under the paper and another layer on top of it. I got this book at a local thrift store for 75 cents, quite a bargain!

Cut your phrase our of vinyl, I used the Silhouette SD, or buy a phrase from one of many vinyl wording stores. Peel away the negative space and stick your transfer paper on top of the words. Peel the paper backing off the vinyl.

Place the phrase where you want it on your canvas and scrap it down good. Peel the transfer tape off the canvas to reveal your beautiful piece! I mod-podged over the vinyl wording just to make sure it stayed on and I also added a small banner of hearts that I cut out with the Silhouette.

And there you have it...your finished product!
This same tutorial can be used in so many different applications. I hope you enjoy!


Check out my blog for other fun tutorials

Many thanks to Made by Jewls, it's been a pleasure guest posting!!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

This is super awesome and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing. <3

::David and Erin:: said...

I LOVE this idea! I've been obsessing over old book pages lately and have been looking for creative ways to use them. I think I'm going to have to try this.